Yes!


I have learned early in life the easiest thing to say is "yes".
I have heard it from you the most.
I have seen how satisfied he was when you said "yes".
"Who is this little thing, sad eyed with her little knuckles white as sheet holding her dignity?"

I know back then he was doing all he can to drown your courage to say "no".
And you couldn't bare to look at him, straight in his eyes.
While all he did was look straight past the warrior hidden inside you.
Spit on your eyebrows, he mockingly said,
"Who is this little sweet face, pretending to stand tall as the mountains?"

I know how he treated you like you're a toy.
And we were pieces of insignificant puppet in his convoluted dollhouse.
I know how you covered me, braced yourself up and stood straight, weakly shouting "no!"
He looked at you annoyed.
"Who is this little ungrateful piece of trash, her voice so vain and her cry so somber".

I know I was just a tiny human of only two.
And I watched how at that moment I found my own voice through your cries.
I realized what I was fighting for was the war you couldn't finish.
Knowing I had a part of your eyes,
I was born with my sight aimed towards the top of that mountain.
And I had a fragment of your roar paving my climb.

Cause I have lived enough through your eyes.
I have seen how echoes of his anger choked you and your very existence.
In your world, saying "yes" gets you to sleep safely at night.
But as you wake me up at the break of dawn,
You took me outside, tiptoeing quietly, scared we'll wake him with our echoes of hope.
Then you brushed my hair.
Singing faintly a song of bravery.
And you,
Yes you, 
My child,
This will never be you.

So, Mother.
Here I am.
I shouted "no".
I climbed your hills.
Our hills.
I planted a piece of us wherever I arrived.
I moved that man-made mountain he created to imprison you.
Cause you,
You my strong soul tall standing eager sighted warrior,
You were born as my Mother.
And I will be the echo of your spirit, the one he stole from your hands.
And though he'll remember you as the woman who said "yes",
The echoes of your "no" manifested through the sound of my heartbeat.

Cause you,
You my Mother,
Planted the start of my dreams.

My strength to say "no".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Point-of-V(you)s

Hitam dan putih

Baby, it aint over till it's over