Come, Visit.

I've always been fascinated by Mary Poppins since the first time I saw the movie, that was way back then. 
I remembered thinking, when I watched the movie again in my teens, that every family needs a Mary Poppins.
She/He doesn't have to be the parents of the child, because who are we kidding, no matter how old we get, a friendly reminder in a gentle voice saying what we need to swallow a bitter medicine or a painful break up is just a spoonful of sugar. Or maybe on Monday mornings, a cheery voice telling us to find the fun in our 9 to 5 routine will help it go by like a game.

And today, I watched it again, I'm now way past my childhood phase, and my teenage years are long gone. But nothing has changed, I still think we all need a Mary Poppins in life.

Especially this quote from Mary Poppins;




We probably thought Fairyland is a magical place filled with candies, toys, and probably puppies. But as past-quarter-life me heard it again, I understood.

This life I'm living, with all the choices I've taken or let slide, it's none other than to reach my own Fairyland. Even with the billion other people who's also living their life, what I'm heading towards is my own Fairyland. I'm creating it. I'm literally designing my own Fairyland.

For example....
I love animals. There'd be animals inside my Fairyland. 
Maybe you don't like animals, and you don't want your Fairyland to be full of cats and dogs chasing each other, then that's fine too! It's your own, it's not mine.
But you can expect there to be animals inside mine.
And rainbows. 
And there'll be one section of my Fairyland where it's always raining, always! But just a few steps to the right, there'll be one side where it's always snowing. A glance to the other side will give you a piece of my Fairyland where it's always sunny, AND THE SNOW WON'T MELT. 
For crying out loud, YOU CAN EVEN EAT THE SNOW AND IT TASTES LIKE MARSHMALLOWS.

You'll think well that don't make sense. 
It doesn't have to make sense to you. Why does it have to? 
It's MY Fairyland. 
I'm not forcing anyone to come live inside it. 
Cause you'll see MY bare footsteps all over it.
Even when you come for a visit, you'll see and think, "this is totally you".
And I'll smile.
And I'll look around.
To every little nook and crannies in my Fairyland, seeing the memories and feelings that only I personally can remember. Because all that has happened, and will continue to happen, helps shape my Fairyland.

Yes, my Fairyland constantly changes. 
I hope yours do too. 
Cause we change. Every second.
I swear I won't try to build yours for you. We can discuss it over a cup of tea if you want. 
But when you get home, think about what makes your Fairyland exactly that...just yours.
Not anyone else. 
Not even your parents', kids.
Its yours.
Go wild.
Pick the carpets, or maybe you want a yoga mat straight dead center of your big open Fairyland.
Who are others to judge? If that's what makes you comfortable, happy, and you get the feeling that your soul screams in agreement that this is just so you. Then yes, please! 

I'll come for a visit
I'll think and smile, because this is so you.
And we'll be happy together.
But most of all, we'll be happy even on our own.


Because in the end, even when you're married, or a parent to some young Fairyland builder, always remember you also have a Fairyland to build. 

Your own.








Jakarta, my little piece of Fairyland
26th January 2015




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Point-of-V(you)s

Baby, it aint over till it's over

Hitam dan putih